Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F.A.Q.  (Read 6706 times)

Aurelia

• Administrator
F.A.Q.
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »

I'm new!  Where do I start?
Welcome :)  The best place to start is in the About You section of the forums and write an introduction thread.  That way people get to say hello and learn a bit about you and you get to know other members a little better too.

Can I use openID?
You sure can!  It isn't necessary to have an OpenID to access the site, but anyone who does have one can choose to use that.

Why can't I role play on this site?
That would be because this is not an RP site.  We have spiritual and emotional discussions as well as lighthearted chat and a host of other threads, but no role play is allowed because of the fact that we are not an RP site.  There are lots of role play communities on the internet, however we are not one of them.

Why aren't more games threads allowed?
For almost the same reason that we disallowed RP several years ago.  This forum is aimed at discussion, debate, general chat and lighthearted conversations (and anything inbetween!) as well as meeting like-minded people, spirituality and all associated with that, but we are not a games community.  There are plenty of other sites who have all sorts of different games, but as we are not a games community we removed all but 2 threads because the site was getting overrun with them and losing sight of it's intended purpose.

Can I have a blog?
Yes :)  Just go to the Want A Blog? thread and ask in there for an administrators to set you up with one.

How do I join the other membergroups?
We only have one voluntary membergroup and full information on how to access that is in this thread.

Can we have more site themes?
In the future, probably.  We are always updating and improving the site and there is also a lot of customization.  Themes are something we may look at again in the future, but at the moment we are more focused on functionality and making sure you guys get out of the site what you need to.

How can I report someone?
There are a couple of ways to report someone for breaking the site rules.  First, the easiest way is to click the "report" button that will be on their post(s) - there is a "report" button on every post on the site.  This lets the staff know which post has been reported and why.  The second way is to send a PM to one of the site staff detailing the problem - link any posts or threads in a PM or copy/paste from the shoutbox or PMs if the problem happened there.

I have a question that isn't answered here, what do I do?
We love to get input and feedback from the community - it's how we grow and improve the site!  So if you have any questions of comments at any time then feel free to do one of three things: 1) reply to this thread with your question and we will answer it for you.  2) Send a PM directly to a member of staff and they will answer you.  3) Start your own thread with your question(s) if you think that a discussion is needed.
"Damn!  I want a shockey-monkey."

Deebles

• Draconity.org Staff
Re: F.A.Q.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

What is the official stance on thread necromancy? Personally, all of these new posts on topics that are several years old that don't add anything new to the discussion are driving me up a wall, but I'm not the boss! :3

Dradolan

• Dragon Council
  • Cheerfully Depressed
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »

Well, thread necromancy isn't a bad thing. So long as you can contribute enough to warrant the post itself. If it is 'I agree with so and so" and add nothing to the conversation, it isn't what we want to see. If you were to talk about (elaborate what you think) your opinions on the subject matter or post anything that is relevant to the thread that people can reply to (easy example would be to ask a question) then it is more than alright. I believe us staff a few months ago kinda wanted to start appropriately necroing threads because people were running out of ideas to talk about here.

Like what you just did now, you asked a quite valid and relevant question in a thread that is several years old. Perfectly ok, it's valid and it got a reaction. That's what we would want from thread necromancy. It's up to people to add stuff to conversations.  :yes:

What we don't want is happening to some threads here right now as you say. Things like pretty much saying the same thing that everyone else is saying and not adding anything new, while not checking the date that the thread was started and the last post's date as well. Not what we would want really. :No:

I deterred a bit, but our stance is that it is ok and not ok.

• How old is the thread (check first post)? If around 2 years old at least, go to next point
  • Are you adding anything relevant to the thread? If so, go to next point
  • Is what you are saying something a lot of other people have said? If not, go to next point
  • Is what you are going to post something that people can reply to?

Basic checklist to aid with this (other staff members can improve this for me if they want.). As a rule if we see bad necroing then we will give a warning. If it continues at the odd occasion we will lock it. Not that we would want to but if people aren't going to listen then we would have no choice. I said my opinion on the necroing based on what I've witnessed/experienced and talked about with the admin and mods, their opinion will probably vary slightly from mine.

But I hope this helps somewhat.
I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
I am a skeptical guy. Prove me wrong by all means but if it isn't exactly logical, realistic or rational I won't buy it.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins
"We have no great war, no Great Depression. Our great war is spiritual. Our great depression is our life." (Heretoir - Ausgeburt)
<------ Made by sillydraco

Selroth

• Administrator
  • 'Lil imaginary friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:28:02 AM »

Well, thread necromancy isn't a bad thing. So long as you can contribute enough to warrant the post itself. If it is 'I agree with so and so" and add nothing to the conversation, it isn't what we want to see. If you were to talk about (elaborate what you think) your opinions on the subject matter or post anything that is relevant to the thread that people can reply to (easy example would be to ask a question) then it is more than alright. I believe us staff a few months ago kinda wanted to start appropriately necroing threads because people were running out of ideas to talk about here.

Like what you just did now, you asked a quite valid and relevant question in a thread that is several years old. Perfectly ok, it's valid and it got a reaction. That's what we would want from thread necromancy. It's up to people to add stuff to conversations.  :yes:

What we don't want is happening to some threads here right now as you say. Things like pretty much saying the same thing that everyone else is saying and not adding anything new, while not checking the date that the thread was started and the last post's date as well. Not what we would want really. :No:

I deterred a bit, but our stance is that it is ok and not ok.

• How old is the thread (check first post)? If around 2 years old at least, go to next point
  • Are you adding anything relevant to the thread? If so, go to next point
  • Is what you are saying something a lot of other people have said? If not, go to next point
  • Is what you are going to post something that people can reply to?

Basic checklist to aid with this (other staff members can improve this for me if they want.). As a rule if we see bad necroing then we will give a warning. If it continues at the odd occasion we will lock it. Not that we would want to but if people aren't going to listen then we would have no choice. I said my opinion on the necroing based on what I've witnessed/experienced and talked about with the admin and mods, their opinion will probably vary slightly from mine.

But I hope this helps somewhat.

My name's Selroth, and I approve this message.    :yes:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Tags: website