Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discontinuing IRC Services?  (Read 951 times)

Aurelia

• Administrator
Re: Discontinuing IRC Services?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »

Just a quick note for anyone who doesn't want "yet another chat client" - I was in your camp too, but Discord can be accessed in a browser tab (you CAN use the desktop/phone app if you want, but you don't have to) so it's just as simple as opening the browser you already have installed.

As for asking the people on the IRC - Sel has been doing that in PMs :) People who weren't online on the IRC when he did those obviously haven't been asked yet, hence starting this thread so everyone could give input. :)

The two main things it comes down to is moderating the IRC (we don't have any of the main staff consistently in the IRC as they've already moved to Discord), and the bridge maintenance (which is a big deal).  The latter is the biggest problem because without the bridge the IRC will basically be 2-3 people talking between themselves with no access to the bulk of the chat happening in Discord. I would say "so we could keep it open just for you few to use" but new people who aren't familiar with the site might go there and think "this place is dead" and not realise Discord has a LOT of people actively chatting.

That's why we're a bit torn so we're glad you're all giving opinions! :)
"Damn!  I want a shockey-monkey."

Selroth

• Administrator
  • 'Lil imaginary friend
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »

I have given this some thought. While I appreciate the work that has been (or is being) put into maintaining several "bridges", i am not sure why this is being put up as a vote. Clearly there are people voting who are not concerned by the IRC channel at all, because they never used it. Let those vote who work on and/or use the channel - I don't see how this is anyone else's business.

Also, we should not be so quick to dismiss the idling IRC users. Every now and then they are infact online and I know at least one of them, who's only tie to this community is the IRC channel. Maybe the most sensible way to go about this is to simply ask those who actually use the IRC channel (be it active or as a lurker) whether or not they would mind eliminating the channel.

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I can give you the reason why I use the IRC instead of discord: IRC is the main chat hub for the german furry community and since I am a part of that, it is only natural for me to be using IRC most of the time. I do have collected several other chatclients over the years (ICQ, Skype, Googlehangouts, Aim, etc..) and I was happy to have found one multi-chat client that supports most of them. I would say that about 90% of my chat-contacts are on IRC and the other 10% are scattered over the other clients. Having to add yet another chat client (that - to my knowledge - does not integrate with Adium) is starting to get a bit overwhelming. Thats why I voted against trashing the channel.

Point taken.  But, I still think it's more of a community decision.  Any time you ask everyone using a feature, they'll probably opt to keep the feature because they're still using it =P  There's no /good/ way to decide this using just a poll, hence why I don't really use polls to make decisions, but rather to help me make informed decisions. 

I think the bridge will need to be updated whenever Discord is updated (which is quite frequently), and that could be a lot of work or even downright impossible as their protocols change.  So, as far as the bridge goes, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it just doesn't work anymore or Hornwitser can't be bothered to maintain it (and who can blame him - we're already kinda in his debt!)

So, the other half of the problem: moderation.

Does it really make sense to moderate a room of 5 people?  I probably won't bother, and I don't think any other D.Org Staff members will either.  So, we /could/ just leave it as it is - we don't exactly have a history of needing frequent moderation.  It'd /probably/ be fine, so long as no spambot or such gets in there.  I'd probably be perfectly OK with giving you or someone else ops just to handle it.  But, then, I'm going directly against one of the things I'm trying hard to fix - only D.org Staff having special permissions around all official D.org features.  The "special cases" kinda get us in trouble, and makes it very unclear who's in charge.  It's messy, so...  I'm not so willing to give you or anyone non-staff ops.  Now, if you were to become a D.Org Staff member...  (but, probably not gonna happen either yet, as we're still too full).

Aure's totally right on the dead IRC room giving the wrong impression of the community too.  I can see it very easy for someone to join the IRC and not much else, find out it's pretty dead, and assume the whole community is dead.  The bridge at least prevented that.  But, it's also very unfortunate if the bridge only works one-way, to where they can see us talk but they don't know we can't see them talk.  Then it's just like everyone here is a bunch of assholes ignoring the new guy =P

I love IRC.  I almost quite literally grew up on IRC - it was probably 95% (without exaggeration) of my social life for years - all through highschool and college, and then some!).  My home there has a special place in my heart, but... it's pretty empty now.  Everyone's moved out, and it's this poor dilapidated frame that's just a sad memory of what once was. 

Technology has this nasty habit of taking over older technology and not giving a fuck.  I certainly don't want to leave anyone behind, but if those that are still in there are just those who haven't bothered up update their auto-connect settings, then I don't think anyone is /really/ being left behind because in truth they've already moved on.

KarathKasun

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »

Drop the bridge, put a notice up in the IRC MOTD that it is only for legacy purposes and is not moderated.  Follow that with a link to the Discord chat noting that it is the official chat service and is recommended over the IRC.

Problem solved.

The bridge is untenable because it is a one off solution.  It is not serviceable by a standard admin or OP.  Discord itself is more "fire and forget" and works well on mobile platforms.  I have yet to find a mobile IRC client that even comes close because they don't properly support push notifications.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:30:26 PM by KarathKasun »

Hornwitser

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »

I wouldn't say the bridge is completely untenable.  I've been rather poor at looking after it I'll admit, given that it's been running in an unforeseen failure mode for quite some time now (I'll try to put in a fix for that).  The code running the bridge is freely available and it's just for any staff that so wish to take over and maintain it.  I don't think it would happen though, it seems like there is no other staff on this board other than Selroth with any background experience with programming or system administration and he has enough to do.

I don't think running the IRC server is worth it, there hasn't been much activity from it in a long time (and that's not due to the bridge being broken).  When the bridges were set up, my general impression was that the Skype group and the Discord channel had a lot more activity than the IRC, on the order of 10x more, while the maintenance burden is something like 10x more for keeping the IRC running compared to the Discord server.

Nevertheless I'll keep running the discord bridge.  It's not much maintenance, new versions of Discord doesn't require any changes and the bot API is stable enough that there's hardly any changes that need to be done.  Usually when the bridge is down or broken it's because I'm unaware of it, and nobody seems to bother telling me about it (if you pm me here or on Discord should you notice it's broken it'll be fixed much quicker.)

Zeimyth

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »

Relevant:

Selroth

• Administrator
  • 'Lil imaginary friend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »

Aurelia

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »

Lol so true! That was me too until discord tbh.
"Damn!  I want a shockey-monkey."

Azrael

• Private Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »

Mark my words: IRC will never die! LONG LIVE IRC!!!
Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person - or not.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Tags: