I have given this some thought. While I appreciate the work that has been (or is being) put into maintaining several "bridges", i am not sure why this is being put up as a vote. Clearly there are people voting who are not concerned by the IRC channel at all, because they never used it. Let those vote who work on and/or use the channel - I don't see how this is anyone else's business.
Also, we should not be so quick to dismiss the idling IRC users. Every now and then they are infact online and I know at least one of them, who's only tie to this community is the IRC channel. Maybe the most sensible way to go about this is to simply ask those who actually use the IRC channel (be it active or as a lurker) whether or not they would mind eliminating the channel.
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I can give you the reason why I use the IRC instead of discord: IRC is the main chat hub for the german furry community and since I am a part of that, it is only natural for me to be using IRC most of the time. I do have collected several other chatclients over the years (ICQ, Skype, Googlehangouts, Aim, etc..) and I was happy to have found one multi-chat client that supports most of them. I would say that about 90% of my chat-contacts are on IRC and the other 10% are scattered over the other clients. Having to add yet another chat client (that - to my knowledge - does not integrate with Adium) is starting to get a bit overwhelming. Thats why I voted against trashing the channel.
Point taken. But, I still think it's more of a community decision. Any time you ask everyone using a feature, they'll probably opt to keep the feature because they're still using it =P There's no /good/ way to decide this using just a poll, hence why I don't really use polls to make decisions, but rather to help me make informed
I think the bridge will need to be updated whenever Discord is updated (which is quite frequently), and that could be a lot of work or even downright impossible as their protocols change. So, as far as the bridge goes, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it just doesn't work anymore or Hornwitser can't be bothered to maintain it (and who can blame him - we're already kinda in his debt!)
So, the other half of the problem: moderation.
Does it really make sense to moderate a room of 5 people? I probably won't bother, and I don't think any other D.Org Staff members will either. So, we /could/ just leave it as it is - we don't exactly have a history of needing frequent moderation. It'd /probably/ be fine, so long as no spambot or such gets in there. I'd probably be perfectly OK with giving you or someone else ops just to handle it. But, then, I'm going directly against one of the things I'm trying hard to fix - only D.org Staff having special permissions around all official D.org features. The "special cases" kinda get us in trouble, and makes it very unclear who's in charge. It's messy, so... I'm not so willing to give you or anyone non-staff ops. Now, if you were to become a D.Org Staff member... (but, probably not gonna happen either yet, as we're still too full).
Aure's totally right on the dead IRC room giving the wrong impression of the community too. I can see it very easy for someone to join the IRC and not much else, find out it's pretty dead, and assume the whole community is dead. The bridge at least prevented that. But, it's also very unfortunate if the bridge only works one-way, to where they can see us talk but they don't know we can't see them talk. Then it's just like everyone here is a bunch of assholes ignoring the new guy =P
I love IRC. I almost quite literally grew up on IRC - it was probably 95% (without exaggeration) of my social life for years - all through highschool and college, and then some!). My home there has a special place in my heart, but... it's pretty empty now. Everyone's moved out, and it's this poor dilapidated frame that's just a sad memory of what once was.
Technology has this nasty habit of taking over older technology and not giving a fuck. I certainly don't want to leave anyone behind, but if those that are still in there are just those who haven't bothered up update their auto-connect settings, then I don't think anyone is /really/ being left behind because in truth they've already moved on.